Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Reusable bags are only good if you always use them!

There is an article written in the Wall Street Journal called, "An Inconvenient Bag," that I thought was interesting. Before reading this article, I had thought reusable bags only had upsides to them because I assumed they were all made out of recycled materials. Come to find out there are many downsides or cons to reusable bags that this article pointed out. For example, did you know thousands of reusable bags are being made and even given away because they have become the most popular new marketing tool? These bags are made with even heavier materials than plastic bags and so are likely to sit in landfills even longer. Plus did you know many of these are made in China and then shipped thousands of miles away. People who take or buy these bags but do not choose to use them are creating an even bigger problem for our environment. How many of us sometimes forget to bring our reusable bag and so buy more reusable bags than we actually need?

We thought of a solution to this problem that involves stores. Stores could allow for a bin or box to be placed near the registers for the community to donate their extra reusable bags. This way customers who have forgotten theirs, may borrow one. We figure people who care will want this to succeed and remember to return the bags at a later time and even donate more. So far we have tried to test this idea with Basha's but we were rejected because they didn't want to lose sales from their own reusable bags. We will keep trying, but what do you think of this idea? Please comment below.

Kendric K.

5 comments:

  1. I think its a great idea that way unused bags wont go to waste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is sad that Basha's wouldn't give it a try. I frequently forget to take my bags with me. I like the idea that you could take all your bags and if you don't use them all, you could leave some for someone else to use. I hope other stores will try this. I think stores could still profit because if they had a bin, I would probably buy an extra bag to put in the bin each time I go to the store. Or maybe they could even ask you to donate a dollar each time you go to keep the bin stocked with their own bags. It sounds like a great solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are all extremely creative - what a great idea! Grocery stores have such small profit margins they will be protective of any money-makers. Try some stores that don't sell bags and see if you get a better response...maybe a drug store, a mom n' pop store in a strip mall... Keep up the creative solutions - I look forward to visiting your blog often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's a terrific idea! That would probably be the single biggest thing that would help me use reusable bags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I work at Ralph's which is part of Kroger. We sell Reusable bags for .99 cents. I use them, my mom uses them, I remind people PLEASE USE THEM (Reusable bags) you will help mother nature and mother earth feel better. I will be sick to my stomach if I have to remind people about reusable bags.

    ReplyDelete